When Facebook Live was first introduced, I didn’t pay much attention to it. As usual, I thought “that’s all I need. One MORE thing to do.” However, after watching several of my colleagues start using it inside some of my groups, I changed my mind. If you’re not learning, you’re not living right?
So I drank the Kool-Aid. What follows are Facebook Live Tips for Insurance Agencies based on my experience.
Facebook Live Tips for Insurance Agencies Take 1- Honor Our Flag Days
I decided to give Facebook Live a try by announcing our Honor Our Flag Days event hosted over several days in June 2016. I shot a very simple video with my iPhone describing the event, offering details and telling people where they could find more information on our website. Amazingly enough, the video had 417 views and 5 shares.
I thought, I might be onto something here. Here’s the link to the video so you can take a peek. Again, it’s not fancy. It’s very off-the-cuff and personable. https://business.facebook.com/galvezinsurance/videos/10154248720678675/.
Facebook Live Tips for Insurance Agencies Video 2- Honor Our Flag Days reminder
I shot a second video before the event occurred. I posed outside my office next to a flag (the only thing missing was movie theme music, and tears streaming down my face I swear 😉 ) and encouraged people to come downtown to exchange their flag for a new one and join us at the Unserviceable Flag Ceremony. I also talked about would happen at the Ceremony.
That video exceeded all expectations. To date, it has 2700 views and 38 shares. Unbelievable. Here’s the link to that video: https://www.facebook.com/galvezinsurance/videos/10154266876018675/.
Facebook Live Tips for Insurance Agencies Video 3- Honor Our Flag Days final plea
Stressing urgency, I asked people to participate in the flag exchange and come for the Unserviceable Flag Ceremony. I also extended the flag exchange through the evening of the ceremony in case people couldn’t make it down during the week. 633 views and 5 shares for that one. Watch it here- https://business.facebook.com/galvezinsurance/videos/10154277783238675/.
Facebook Live Tips for Insurance Agencies Video 4- Promoting our Annual Customer Appreciation Day
Once Honor Our Flag Days was finished, it was time for our annual Customer Appreciation event, which occurred just 3 days after. Side note- if I ever say I’m going to host two major events the same week, please punch me in the throat!
Again, it’s just me speaking about the event. Basic info, times, what we were serving, door prize opportunities, freebies given away and I also extended the flag exchange to Customer Appreciation Day too. Some customers hadn’t been able to make it during the event, so we wanted to give them the opportunity to exchange their flag for a new one.
269 views for that one and 3 shares. Since that video was geared toward customers only and not the general population, I can see why views and shares weren’t as great as the others. You’re limiting your population automatically. But still, pretty good interaction if I do say so myself. Take a look- https://business.facebook.com/galvezinsurance/videos/10154283906743675/.
Facebook Live Tips for Insurance Agencies Video 5- Promoting an event hosted by another organization- United Way of Logan County Stuff the Bus
For several years, we’ve served as a drop-off spot for the United Way of Logan County Stuff the Bus program. It’s a school supply drive, with all school supplies collected being donated to local schools to be given to families in need.
We love to help our community in whatever way we can. So I decided to do another video talking about the program, the dates, examples of items they need and telling people to go to the United Way website to check out the complete list of needed school supplies. Hopefully this will help increase donations to the cause. That video has gotten 595 views and 4 shares. Here it is: https://business.facebook.com/galvezinsurance/videos/10154378811348675/.
Facebook Live Tips for Insurance Agencies- based on my experience.
- Promote your own agency hosted or sponsored events- It’s easy and immediate. The numbers don’t lie. People LOVE video (quick, easy, no reading required, etc.) Would I have gotten the same response if I had typed out all the information and just posted? Probably not.
- When urgency is needed- if you have an important announcement or one dependent on a date, this is a great platform to get the word out NOW.
- When introducing a new agency incentive or program- Just created a brand new referral program? Great! Bust out your phone and talk about it.
- Have a carrier update you want to share? Maybe one of your carriers just introduced an amazing endorsement and you want to share it with the world. Easy to do!
- Promote a community partner’s event- just like I did with United Way. Make a video about the event. If you’re involved, mention that. If not, just use it as an opportunity to help another community partner. Promise they’ll appreciate your support any way you can show it.
- If your customer is up to it, shoot a spontaenous testimonial.
- Promote your commercial clients- think of this almost like a news segment and you’re a reporter. Visit their location and do an interview.
- Have your staff introduce themselves and give each person 30 seconds to say what their special talent is. Or instead of work-related, have each staff member give an interesting fact about themselves. Use this to humanize your people. People like to do business with other people. So video is a great opportunity to showcase our human side.
- If you have anything to announce that requires any sort of emotion, use Facebook Live. Video can express emotion far beyond written words.
This list is by no means exhaustive.
My next video will focus on our participation in the Bellefontaine Police Department Annual Safety event. We’ll have a booth and will be giving away tons of things, such as coloring books & crayons, and prizes for playing our Plinko-style game. We’ll also have a sign up for 3 gift baskets. I’m going to show the game, the coloring books and the prizes we’re giving away to make it even more exciting and encourage people to visit our booth.
I hope this article gets you thinking about how to use Facebook Live in your insurance agency. The possibilities are truly endless and remember, you don’t need fancy equipment or a professional videographer. You and your phone are good enough. So there’s no excuse- get out there and start shooting some videos! Have fun!