I’m starting over
My insurance agency just rolled out a new website (long overdue I might add) and of course, it has a blog (yay). There was never any question that I would also write the posts for the new agency blog, in addition to writing here. Writing is my thing after all and I truly enjoy it. But I’m scared.
Why I’m Scared
I am starting at square one. Zero. The absolute beginning.
I have no following on this new blog. No interactions, no sharing, tweeting, liking, etc.
I’m a nobody.
And it scares the hell out of me.
Every time I start writing a new post, these random thoughts (in no particular order) pop into my head:
- What if no one reads this?
- What if I’m writing for no one?
- What if no one EVER reads this?
- What if no one thinks my content is valuable?
- What if no one anywhere on the face of this earth EVER reads this?
- What if this all turns out to be one big failure and I will have wasted my time?????? (waaaaaahhhhhh)
Hmmm, you get the idea that maybe the fact that “No one ever reads this” is a critical question in my mind?
Contrast that with this site
I’ve been an active blogger on this site for nearly 5 years.
That’s 5 years of posting, at minimum, on a weekly basis.
I’ve built a decent following and have a respectable amount of readers. I’m damn proud of the work I’ve accomplished over the past few years.
But this new blog? My past work may have helped me become a better writer, but it does nothing for spreading my new work. That’s all me baby. All over again.
Why I’m Starting Over
It’s really quite simple. The only reason I’m going through the pain of establishing a reader base all over again is because I still believe in the power of words. I believe that everyone has a story to tell and when that story resonates with the right person, it’s magic.
When the story gives someone that “lightbulb moment” you’ve been hoping for.
When the story provides a much needed answer to an important question.
When the story makes the person smile or laugh.
When the story makes the reader go “There IS someone else with the same problems I have. I’m not alone.”
When the story gives someone hope. Or saves a life (Hey- you NEVER know).
So that means I’m starting over HERE as well
My insurance-related posts (such as claims, coverage, etc.) will move over to the agency blog. Makes sense right? That doesn’t mean I won’t EVER post about insurance here. Just not as frequently.
Take a minute and visit the Alan Galvez Insurance blog. The same “voice” you’re used to here is also there. Not boring, not overly technical and full of life and humor, when appropriate. Granted it just started, so there are only 2 posts to review. My goal is to post weekly, using lots of examples taken from our own files or throughout the industry. So if you want the most helpful, real-world, non-technical, personality-laden posts about insurance, please subscribe by email or RSS.
I’ve discovered, interestingly enough, that I’m seen as a brand ambassador for the insurance agent and industry in general, almost like an advocate. I speak up when others don’t. I say things that most wouldn’t dare say. I defend this industry and its agency force with fierce passion and commitment.
I’ve been pushing back against this viewpoint for a while, but in the immortal words of those wise sages REO Speedwagon,
“I can’t fight this feeling anymore….”
It’s a torch I’ll gladly wield and am honored to do so.
I also have small business experience (agency owner), so I can easily speak to that segment as well.
Lastly, I’ve always been a positive person and believe strongly in sharing uplifting and inspirational messages. Perhaps I should have become a motivational speaker 😉
Who’s my new audience? (always has been really- I’ve just now realized it)
- If you’re an insurance agent or agency that wants in-the-trenches advice and examples of marketing, social media, sales and just improving your agency, I’m your go-to person.
- If you’re a business person (in any industry) that wants the same marketing/social media/sales examples as the insurance people, this is for you too.
- If you want an honest, no holds barred look at small business and my experiences (and lessons learned), here I am.
- If you just want to improve yourself as a person, there will be plenty of inspirational/motivational posts as well. And if you just enjoy having a meaningful conversation and want to join other like-minded people, this community is all for you.
- And if the topic doesn’t matter that much to you, but you simply enjoy my writing, well that’s the coolest thing of all 🙂 So please jump in and join me.
Does this change/shift scare me? Of course. Because it means I’ll lose readers. But maybe those people weren’t for me anyway. Maybe they weren’t truly invested in what I had to say. Maybe they weren’t engaged or truly supportive. Maybe, just maybe they weren’t part of the community I’m so vigilantly trying to build.